Thursday, 27 August 2026

She Cuts Herself

by Nick Gisburne





I find her in the squalor of a nauseating slum
On a filthy floor where nobody should be
She knows that she has nothing now
She knows what she’s become
But opens up her soul so I can see

She cuts herself, to take away the pain
The pressure, building, pushing, always there
A merciless and unrelenting strain
It drags her to the threshold of despair

The name she never chose is not the name she uses now
But the taste of it is bitter on her lips
Accusing me of mocking her but never knowing how
She warns me with the greasy knife she grips

She cuts herself, for blessed, sweet release
A chance to test the limits of her skin
The bleeding brings her poetry, and peace
It drains the deep anxiety within

I tell her I would never try to stop her, and I won’t
She refuses to believe I could be real
Expecting me to turn away, or take the knife, I don’t
But I shiver at the silence of the steel

The pain inside her soul is dark and deep
She wonders why I stay to watch her weep

She cuts herself, but no one else must know
Without it she believes her heart would burst
She wakes that warm, intoxicating glow
Before the dreams, her demons, find it first

She does it just to know she will survive
She cuts herself to keep herself alive



Lyrics by Nick Gisburne
Music and vocals created by Suno
Adapted from the poem She Cuts Herself