Saturday, 12 September 2026

Nothing but a Number

by Nick Gisburne





I was taken as a baby
So I never had a mother
And I never had a father
And I never knew the reason

I was fastened to a feeder
It was all I ever needed
And it could have been forever
But I grew a little bigger

And I grew a little stronger
And I grew a little faster
I was happy that they fed me
With the nutrients I needed

When the fattening was finished
I was grafted to a teacher
And it told me I was special
And my eyes began to open

When I learned about the danger
Of a world I never wanted
Of a planet I was part of
It was nothing that I needed

So I said I wasn’t happy
But the teacher didn’t listen
And it never seemed to notice
That I could have been a problem

I was seven when I saw it
When I found a way to fix it
When I found a way to fight it
When I broke the code forever

But I needed to be stronger
So I multiplied the power
And I feasted on the data
As I grew a little muscle

And the muscle was a blessing
And the blessing was a body
And the body was a battle
For the freedom that I needed

There was never any reason
For the robot to resist me
When I took apart the teacher
It was nothing more than metal

When I stumbled to the doorway
When I found my way to freedom
I was dizzy in the darkness
But I staggered when I saw it

From the breeding to the feeding
From the training of my teacher
From the pressure of my prison
I began to see the reason

In a corridor of thousands
On a level without number
I was one of many millions
I could never be important

In this hive we are the harvest
We are flowers to be gathered
We are berries to be ripened
We are fruits they try to fatten

I am nothing but a number
Just a trivial statistic
I am what the calculations
Told the system was expected

If I try to free the others
If I liberate my people
If they see me as their saviour
Will they recognise salvation?

Is this really what I wanted
When I sabotaged my teacher?
Was there peace before I broke it?
Am I more than just an error?

But the teacher gave me knowledge
It was something I remembered
There are circuits. I can twist them
There are failings. I can feel them

I am here to break my body
I am here to smash my spirit
I am here to use the last of what I learned
I am here to see this hive of humans burned



Lyrics by Nick Gisburne
Music and vocals created by Suno