Monday 20 April 2020

A Legion of Limericks: Ninth Cohort

by Nick Gisburne



There was no one to open the doors
To the round of robotic applause
Though the humans were dead
It could always be said
That the planet was rid of its wars

O’er the bridge of unspeakable cost
To depravity countless have crossed
Those who settle the price
For extravagant vice
In its poisonous pleasures are lost

As I witness the world at my feet
And its carpet of cruel deceit
My suspicions, my fear
Though unfounded, unclear
Are the doubts I can never defeat

We were struck by the surge of the sea
But the captain sang show tunes with glee
“Let us battle the waves
To our watery graves
But to sink without song isn’t me!”

Though my colleague is very ambitious
I am ruthlessly cunning and vicious
So to get the promotion
I’ve slipped him a potion
And hope the police aren’t suspicious

Dashing into the bank in a flash
I ran out with a bag full of cash
But without a disguise
I was caught, no surprise:
Massive ears and a ginger moustache

Though they call her the Goddess of Lust
She is covered in ashes and dust
So allergic to friction
A damning affliction
She burns at the tiniest thrust

He is Satan, Destroyer of Kings
Fear the infinite evil he brings
But his merciless flight
Was abandoned tonight
While he washes and waxes his wings

Baby dragons who cry for their cream
Simmer softly, surrounded by steam
Though they gargle with milk
In pyjamas of silk
They are never as sweet as they seem

He is truly, undoubtedly dead
There are clues in the halves of his head
One’s impaled on a spike
Through the other a pike
So he’s probably staying in bed