Monday 13 April 2020

A Legion of Limericks: Third Cohort

by Nick Gisburne



Said the frog to the fatherless flies
“You may see me with multiple eyes
But the length of my lick
And the force of its flick
Are a warning to say your goodbyes”

There is something I wanted to say
I am outing myself – I am gay
It’s my certain belief
I will find no relief
If my nature is hidden away

In my heart grows a terrible pain
I am faltering under the strain
The unbearable cost
For the love I have lost
Is the memory burning my brain

I have found an incredible power
From its menace the cosmos shall cower
But I’m lost in the game
And my life is so lame
I am fearful of taking a shower

I am waiting to see who comes by
For I’m lonely and think I shall cry
If a visitor calls
To these desolate halls
I will give him a poke in the eye

There are witches lined up in the street
All the covens have gathered to meet
But the virus is here
So the guidance is clear
Leave a space of three wands, or six feet

Idle questions cavort in my head
Are tomatoes in darkness still red?
Will the sun ever freeze?
Can a crocodile sneeze?
Are the bodies still locked in the shed?

To a city of spectres and shade
Came the mythical blood master’s blade
To the beast it was sold
For a grave filled with gold
Which was quite a lot more than I paid

Where the butterflies dance on the breeze
And the fairy lights flash in the trees
I was led to this land
When an elf took my hand
But he burst when I gave him a squeeze

She is winsome and wondrous and fair
There are flowers entwined in her hair
But this delicate lass
Has a problem with gas
Pushing poisonous pongs in the air