Friday 19 February 2021

A Legion of Limericks: Nineteenth Cohort

by Nick Gisburne



Let us see how much pain you can take
You are strong, but I know you will break
When your spirits are dead
And the contract is read
You’ll be married and cutting the cake

I will tell you the future I see
Hear the wisdom once given to me
From the day we take breath
We are destined for death
But, as long as we live, we are free

They insist that my face does not fit
And they try to convince me to quit
But I prove them all wrong
I am worthy and strong
On their bigoted bias I spit

When the Devil dropped in on the town
He decided to burn the place down
Good old God was on form
He delivered a storm
So the flames are all out, but we’ll drown

In the smouldering ruins and ash
Bands of sickening scavengers dash
There is profit in pain
Where the helpless are slain
And their bodies are trampled like trash

Call him worthless, a criminal stain
But he thrives in the depths of disdain
In your moment of need
Say his name as you plead
In the heart of his deadly domain

Said the wolf to the innocent child
“I am dangerous, hungry, and wild”
He expected her cry
But she said, “So am I”
Then she picked up the rifle and smiled

In the circle of clowns there is fear
For their master has summoned them here
He exposes the snitch
Drags him into a ditch
And he beats him to death as they cheer

From the moment they breathe, she begins
Weaving tapestries into their skins
Scenes of scandal and shame
Twisted fibres of flame
She must shape every strand of their sins

See the future! Discover your fate!
Take the journey, before it’s too late
It’s a serious crime
But the nature of time
Means of course you could probably wait