Tuesday 16 April 2024

Fade to Black

by Nick Gisburne





I am old. I'm forgotten.
I am feeble. I am weak.
Time won’t peel away this rotten skin.
The future, mine, is bleak.

All my sisters, brothers,
Wives and children,
All of them are dead.
For this fragile, fading skeleton
There is no road ahead.

Not a part of me cooperates.
These limbs are stiff and numb.
My abundant flow of medication
Triggered by a thumb.

Eyes impossible to focus,
Faces may as well be wood.
All the rhythms of my voice
Are slurred and rarely understood.

I am powerless, a broken doll,
Imprisoned by a curse.
Sick of lying on this stinking bed
And waiting for the hearse.

I have had enough of living.
I am too old to pretend.

I am ready.
Close the gate behind me.
Fade to black.
The end.



Lyrics by Nick Gisburne
Music and vocals created by Suno
Adapted from the poem Fade to Black